The Elan is a light and packable waterproof shelter, ideal for multi-day backpacking and bikepacking trips when you can’t outrun the weather forever.
- More protection and comfort than a traditional bivvy
- Self-supporting head canopy for pitching anywhere
- Compact packsize for backpacking and strapping to handlebars
The head canopy offers much more relative comfort than a bivvy bag (plus no wet faces) for a minor weight penalty. When the storm clouds roll in you can just zip the canopy shut for a protected and dry night’s sleep.
The crossed pole design is completely free-standing, quick to put up, and stable in the event of strong winds or snowfall. The low-profile design, combined with undergrowth-coloured fabric, also makes for a particularly discreet wild camping set-up. (Unless you’re in snow. Or a red sand desert.)
The mesh panel at the back maintains air flow without letting in the midgies (essential in the Highlands in summer!) and a roll-away storm flap stops the rain getting in.
We were able to use fabric with a waterproof performance closer to that of tent flysheets (10K HH) due to the increased water run-off provided by the canopy. The 70D nylon also offers much greater durability than ultralight backpacking tents. The zipped side entry was inspired by military-style bivouacs, allowing you to easily slip in and out during the night.
"I first field-tested the Elan by riding the Trans-Cambrian Way with Customer Service Hero Josh," says Rowan. "I stayed dry despite an exceptionally wet night, but I did feel bad zipping up the canopy while Josh had his face rained on all night!"
- Shorter pole lengths and small pack size means it easily fits between most drop bar handlebars for bikepacking.
- Self-supporting canopy structure means it can be used without any pegs if necessary.
- Two-way main zip and mesh zip for additional venting and a roll-away rear rain flap for ‘fair weather use.’
- Stealthy undergrowth-coloured fabric with subtle reflective webbing loops to help you find it at night
- Pre-bent alloy poles, reinforced pole webbing and anodised metal eyelets for increased durability.
- Webbing loop on the top of the footbox allows you to tie it to trees, lifting the footbox off your feet.
- Large storm flap covering the main zip to prevent rain ingress even when main zip is slightly open.
- Two mesh pockets inside for storage.
- 3 Year Alpine Bond
900g (not including pegs)
Pitched: 225 x 77* x 45cm (length x width x height)
*Note: The Elan tapers to 72cm at the footbox
Packed: 39 x 11cm (length x diameter)
Top Fabric: 70D ripstop nylon (10K HH / 6.5K MVTR)
Groundsheet: 70D ripstop nylon (5K HH)
Poles: 2x 7001 Alloy Poles (7.9mm)
Pegs: Alpkit Y Beams