Join Suzie from Peak Swims for a wild swim session in a local white peak river. You'll learn how to plan and what to expect before, during and after a swim in the wild. This session runs from the BSO site and includes an easy 5km walk.
Suitable for complete beginners as well as those who are looking to expand their wild swim adventures. You must be able to swim 100m and be happy treading water. Over14's only. Under 18's must be accompanied by a paying adult.
Sessions run in most weathers however, if weather conditions would deem this session unsafe, it may be cancelled or transferred to an alternative location.
Suzie is an outdoor swim coach, wild swim guide and hill and moorland leader specialising in supporting people to make the most of immersing in nature in a relaxed, fun and safe way. For more information on Suzie check out her website here www.peakswims.co.uk or on social media @peakswims
What to Expect:
Walk to a secluded waterfall/swim spot. Swim for an hour and walk back, all while discussing the pertinent things to consider when getting into wild swimming:
- Benefits of outdoor swimming
- Where to swim
- Common myths and misconceptions
- How to swim safely and identify risks
- Environmental considerations of outdoor swimming
- Equipment. What are you likely to need (or not)
What to Bring:
- Appropriate clothes for the day to walk in, including a windproof/waterproof of some kind. Please check the forecast for the day.
- Extra layers for after our dip. Loose easy to get on layers are best. For example a long sleeve base layer top and bottom and a lightweight insulated jacket make good extras.
- Appropriate footwear to walk in. The route is on well maintained footpaths so trainers with a good grip are fine.
- Warm hat & gloves for afterwards (yes, even if it's sunny)
- Warm drink for post swim and a cold drink for the walk.
- A bag you're comfortable carrying everything in for a few hours.
Minimun Age: 14 (under 18s must be accompanied by an adult)
Course Provider: Suzie - Peak Swims
Student / Instructor Ratio: 6:1
Start / Finish: Thornbridge
Transport: None required
Meeting Times & Logistics:
Please meet at least 10 minutes before the course starting time to find your guide and ensure a timely departure.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you require more information about the course or the Big Shakeout Festival, please get in touch.
No. You must have a valid Big Shakeout weekend ticket to participate in any School of Adventure Activities. Any orders for activities without a Big Shakeout weekend ticket will be cancelled and refunded.
The Big Shakeout Festival and all courses will operate in line with the latest government restrictions. If the festival or a course cannot be run due to Covid restrictions, full refunds will be issued.
We will do everything we can to make sure your chosen activity goes ahead, however in some circumstances a course may have to be cancelled due to weather or lack of numbers. In these cases we will either offer you a place on an alternative activity or refund.
You will receive an email confirmation with an order reference number upon completing your order. Your order number is your unique reference number, bring it along with you and present it at along with your name at the School of Adventure Meeting Point.
The Alpkit Foundation's School of Adventure has a packed programme, full of specialist courses with qualified instructors to either introduce you to new adventures or improve your skills.